Thursday, November 27, 2008

Loss of Confidence

I have been off injured now for 5 weeks and it feels like forever. I have been on my skates skating, but no contact allowed. That means no blocking, no jamming, no checking, NO FUN!!!!!!! It really sucks, it was so hard to put my skates on again and get out there just to skate. I felt like a freshie again, scared of everyone around me and scared to really push myself incase I fell and hurt my knee all over again. I miss my girls, I miss being in the pack and blocking, I even miss jamming even though I'm not all that great at it! Before my injury, I felt like nothing could touch me, that I was invincible. I relished the thought of knocking my team mates on their asses and in turn being blocked on my ass. as one of my team mates was overheard saying "Is it wrong to love the feeling of your helmet sliding over the floor when you've been knocked on your ass?"
The up-shot of it all though is that Ive been able to learn the rules a bit more and will be getting all the refs up to speed with them. Ive been able to skate on the inside track and watch my girls and see where there could be any improvement and remind them to keep the chicken wings at bay!!! The down side is that I'm going to feel really guilty about my chicken wings and illegal moves because I should know better!!!!
My physio has been great, she has been massaging and ultrasounding me back to health and has been giving me really good exercises to follow - and I think she is coming round to the idea of being league physio!!!!! It should only be another week or two before I'm full contact again and I cant wait. Not looking forward to seeing how out of condition I am, but that will be another story....

1 comment:

HVL said...

best of luck with your recovery.

I know it sux being injured I suffer sciatica and have had a really bad time with it for the last 2 weeks.
I'm a dental assistant and spend all day leaning to my left to assist my boss. Come derby training nights guess what.... more leaning to my LEFT!! EEEEEKKKK it hurts like hell and altho I'm still only a freshy it's hard to keep my confidance up when I haven't even passed a skills test yet! 2 weeks to go and I'm not at all excited about the prospect of possibly having to sit on the side lines while all my fellow freshie mates progress on ahead of me.